As we start our 101st year in our new century of service, one desire we all have in common is “TO SERVE” our communities. We can do that in many different ways with each club striving to meet their community’s needs.
One way to accomplish this is to have goals that are obtainable and apply to your Club’s abilities. If your goals are loftier, the best way to reach them is to increase your membership – the more members you have the more you can achieve. It’s as simple as that. I challenge each club that drops/loses a member(s) to replace them with a new, vital member. Don’t stop there – keep seeking those people who can help you increase your Club’s impact in your community. We are not doing this for numbers sake only. With each new member you have the potential to serve more needs.
The goals I have set for our District can be easily obtained. The help of our District Officers, Chairpersons, and the Zone Chairs and – most importantly – the help of each Club and its members is vital for the overall growth of our District. With that in mind, the goals I have set for 2017-2018 are as follows:
- To have a positive membership growth of 10.
- To have a net gain of one Club by the end of the year.
- To hold three Officers Training Classes in the rural areas in addition to two training classes in the San Antonio metroplex.
- To increase the number of Certified Guiding Lions within the District by six.
- To hold a Kids Sight SPOT Certification class during/after each cabinet meeting.
- To increase the Kids Sight vision screening events by 25% throughout the District. Emphasis will be placed on Clubs that have not performed Kids Sight vision screening with the SPOT.
Our District needs “Certified Guiding Lions” to help guide newly formed clubs through their first two years. Keep an eye out for information about the Guiding Lion training on our website.
Goals 5 and 6 will be offered to all Lions wishing to be certified on the SPOT vision screening unit. It’s a two hour course with hands-on training. You will have to register for the training with 2nd Vice District Governor Janie Garza, so keep checking the calendar on the District website. As an added incentive, we are working to schedule two Texas State Certification Classes on the Friday before our Cabinet meetings in Uvalde in January and San Antonio in May. Once again, keep your eye on the District website. Hopefully with these certification classes we can increase the number of vision screenings throughout the District.
I hope these actions will help all members of this District to become more enthusiastic and effective in serving your communities.
Lion Don Kirchhoff
District Governor, 2017-2018